If we are ready for the challenge and the adventure, here are five steps that will move us from memory to imagination.
1. Think about what you think about.
Begin taking an inventory of our thoughts, especially about the issues and dynamics of home, work, and relationships, our potential, future hopes or aspirations.
- Become aware of any fear that’s there! Fear is an acronym –
- Future Events Appearing Real.
These words were spoken to a friend of mine, who was about to follow his ‘TA army flock’ down the ski course. The Sergeant and instructor saw fear in his eyes and challenged him to see future events in a different way and engage his new skills and he’d be alright.
We cannot go any further or higher than our thoughts permit!
- Is our fear just the result of being human ?
- The consequence of facing something new or big?
- Or is it tied to a past experienced that acts like a bungee?
We cannot change what we cannot see or become aware of!
There are two actions within this one word: change the way you think and then go in a different direction. See Luke 15:17&18
We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. Einstein
Our thinking informs and builds our belief and precedes our actions. So if we attempt new actions without new thinking, we will experience limited progress and success. However, if we combine new thinking with new actions, we will release new power into and towards our contexts.
The law of combination states: that when we combine two elements we release a compound – energy/power!
New thinking combined with new actions will release new momentum, and this new power and energy will begin to affect the issues and contexts we desire to change. (Apologise for so many news but new is good!) Have to be careful with formulas but as an illustration it helps –
Thinking + Attitude + Approach + Action = Outcomes
When we change one part of the chemical formula, we change the nature of the results! Stephen R Covey *
- Before we think thoughts we imagine!
- It is true that a picture paints a thousand words!
One of the purposes of our imagination is to make present and possible, ‘future events’ that seem impossible at the moment. As an adopted son of an amazing Father, I am commanded to imitate Him (Eph 5:1) The dynamic within this words speaks of copying or mimicking Him –
- God makes know the end from the beginning. See Ish 46:10
- God often enters our today using the language & image of tomorrow
- These words & images often bear no resemblance to how it is or how we are e.g. Gideon Judges 6 & Ish 54:1-4
The love of this ‘Tomorrow Imagining and Speaking Father’ is trying to cast out fear. 1 John 4:18
- Imagination and faith, when combined release vision.
- We see around us with our eyes.
- We see tomorrow with the eyes of vision.
Sight is a function of the eyes, vision a function of the heart. Dr Myles Munroe *
Taking the time and making the effort, and it will take both, to continually bring to our imagination a new image is a vital principle in moving us from memory to imagination. Vital because our minds seek to complete the image we persistently bring to it.
- Our words are the dictionary of our hearts and the core purpose of a dictionary is to define!
- So what we confess is dynamically defining us!
Begin the process of using metaphors and language that support the new image and thinking we are holding within us.It might seem weird or a little odd to use present tense vocabulary towards our ‘still the same contexts or issues’ but think of it like this:
- When our new tomorrow happens, what language will we use?
- Then use it now!
God tells the barren woman to sing, burst into song and shout for joy, which on the surface seems insensitive or even harsh but He’s addressing her form her tomorrow and with the benefit of hindsight.
She is on a page but He is on every page, including how it ends!
God dynamically does the same to Gideon; He addresses him as a Mighty Warrior because God knew what was in him and had seen him operating as one. The answer to an unproductive and fear gripped life is vision and Father has got loads of it and desires to share it with us. See Eph 3:20
We need to watch our metaphors because our potential and capacity are listening!
5. Act: Stop and start.
There are some actions we need to stop because they are part of the problem and other actions we need to start because they correspond to our new image, thinking and future. Our new image has the same potential and power as a seed but unless this seed encounters an ‘intentional grower’ it remains dormant.
Some years ago, seeds were found in a tomb in Egypt, they were hundreds of years hold. A person, an intentional grower, took them and gave them the environment and commitment they needed –
They released what was entombed!
- Our imaginations are either wombs or tombs!
- Father’s seed is in there but is it dormant?
- Are we ‘Tomb Raiders?
- Do we need to become intentional growers?
Only through cultivation can we make the picture on the packet become a reality in our lives!
Passivity lets anything and everything grow. Cultivation, which is intentional growing and purposeful production, takes pro -activity. Have a look at this metaphor at Proverbs 24:30-34
I hope these steps and their thoughts have made us think and I would love to hear your comments. I would like to share a final thought, which has and still does help me in my daily discipline of making future events become real!
More energy was used breaking out of orbit than was used to travel to the moon and the rocket shook the most as it was breaking loose of gravity!
If we decide to take these steps, you will experience gravity and shaking but these are signs that you have engaged the power and are heading to a new destination! The gravity and shaking will occur in our soul, which houses our mind, will and emotions.
- Feelings and thoughts will try and hold you back and keep you in. Our & others
- Feelings and thoughts will act like gravity because –
- They are attached, even super glued to the comfortable and the familiar.
Once we begin to move inwardly and outwardly towards our new goal, they will kick in, seeking to accomplish what gravity does; hold us down and keep us in place. However, if we continue in these steps despite our feelings we will experience breakthrough and breakout.
- So are we staying with memory or moving to imagination?
- Staying within orbit or going where no one has gone before?
P.S My TA padre mate made it down!
Please leave your comments
* pg 86 Seven Habits of Highly Successful People
* Preface to the principles & power of vision Dr Myles Munroe