The thought underpinning these blogs about the masculine heart and soul is this –
God did not create humans.
This is a label attached by man to categorise and generalise. God intentionally created and uniquely designed a masculine and feminine heart and soul.
One of the biggest problems and frustrations in men and women, regarding masculinity, is how we both perceive what is a man. After years of banging my head against the wall, I have changed my starting point, my perception of masculinity. This little adjustment has made a massive impact.
I have simply started with how men are by design and not how they should be according to the previous generations, popular culture or the expectations of mums, wives & girlfriends.
It’s not that I am closed to all these voices, rather I want to begin in the beginning and that’s Genesis and use what the father reveals there as a diagnostic tool which I will use to keep the good and ditch the crap!
In my last post, I talked about not sawing against the grain, of not working against oneself, of not getting the most out of your efforts which leads to compromise in productivity. To not begin at the beginning, may well lead to me sawing against my father given grain.
Sometimes the quickest way to illumination is to use the tool called outline. So, here’s my outline of the ‘grain of masculinity,’ that father created in the beginning.
- Adam, created from the dust of the wilderness, not the soil of Eden. Gen 2:7
- Father breathed into Adam, then he became a living being; lit: a speaking spirit!
- He then blessed, empowered & equipped his man. Gen 1:28
- He mandates his man – BE – fruitful, increase, fill, subdue, rule 1:28
- He decisively puts Adam in what He’d already planted – Eden.
- Commanded him to work & keep it!
The MH&S was empowered and equipped with authority and power, given a clear place to exercise these gifts, the earth and then the core priorities, that will call out to all he has been pre-loaded with –
- Barrenness will ask for fruit.
- What’s empty will need to be filed.
- Multiplication will be a default setting.
So to achieve and increase is a design requirement, not selfish ambition.
He will be called on to fight and use his God-given fierceness to subdue anything that will come against the beauty God has put him in and commanded him to work and keep. Before all these commands, The Father, blessed or empower the MH&S & the FH&S with everything they’ll need for all He’s asked them to do.
The first MH&S was empowered and then mandated which is so important to grasped. Another way to put it would be to say, that who he [Adam] be had already been given everything he need to do all he’d been designed and purposed to do! He had the capacity to obey and fulfil the command!
Unlike some earthly fathers, our heavenly Father always includes the batteries [power] to go with the gifts He gives us.
Fast forward and the father of the heavenly lights, who does not change, who gives every good and perfect gift (see James 1!7) provides us with these verses. These remind us that we are thoroughly equipped as men to empower the love ones within our ‘Eden!’
- Blessed with every spiritual blessing Eph 1:3
- Abundant grace at all times & in all places 2 Cor 9:8
- Grace [love AND power] that’s all sufficient, esp when we lack ability 2 Cor 12:9
- God-given & resurrection strength, might and power. Eph 6:1
- Exceeding power that will go beyond all we can imagine or ask! Eph 3:20
- Power to desire to do & accomplish glorious will. Phil 2:13 Weymouth translation
- Can do strength and power Phil 4:13
- Father’s faithful, can-do power. 1 Thess 5:24
- The Covenant promise to equip us with good, so we can do his will. Hebs 13:21
These verses are spiritual nutrition, an all you can eat buffet for the MH&S and the FH&S and when we ingest and digest them, we’ll come up strong in love and faith, ready to empower all our loved ones within the Eden He has put us in.
As sons, brothers, husbands, fathers, granddads, great granddads, uncles, team players and work colleagues, we ARE fully loaded by our father, to empower those around us.
Em, is like en and dynamically refers to putting on or in. So, encourage, enthusiasm, enable, empathise, empower. We can and must, put on and put into our love ones, what the Father has given us and what our loved ones need from their fathers, husbands etc…
The primary way this is achieved is by engaging with them and speaking life enhancing and confidence empowering words, about who they are, what they have been given and can do.
Please make sure these words are true and so avoid building a princess and prince syndrome in our children.
Engage with their lives, help them navigate what’s in their hearts and empower them to release ‘it’ with words of truth and love.
It will take guts and courage but remember, if I help create a vacuum, it will be filled and the father of lies, is more than willing to fill that vacuum with his words!